People in distress often turn to those they know rather than seek professional help. Kognito training provides skills and training for individuals help friends, family, colleagues, or anyone who is in situation where they might be contemplating suicide.
What is Kognito?
Kognito is an online, interactive role-play simulation program for students, faculty, and staff that builds awareness, knowledge and skills about mental health and suicide prevention. It prepares users to lead real-life conversations with fellow students and colleagues who are in distress and how to connect them with the support they need.
Why is this program important?
The University of Iowa is committed to providing compassionate psychological services, outreach, and training that foster the mental health of students, nurture student success, and contribute to a safe and welcoming campus community. It is important for students, faculty, and staff to train in early recognition, intervention, and referral.
What if I'm not sure where to start?
There are several campus resources available to students, faculty, and staff. We encourage you to reach out to get more help. Student Care and Assistance and the Employee Assistance Program are great places to start.
- Contact Student Care and Assistance to schedule a consultation.
- Contact the Employee Assistance Program to schedule an appointment.
Kognito is co-sponsored by Graduate and Professional Student Government, Office of the Provost, University College, Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Human Resources, and the Scanlan Center for School Mental Health.
Getting started with Kognito is easy: just enroll in the course using the instructions below. If you run into trouble, contact hte ITS Help Desk at 319-384-HELP.
Get started with Kognito
- Go to: https://compliance.hr.uiowa.edu
- Log in using your HawkID and password
- On the Compliance and Qualifications page, select the My Training tab at the top of the page
- Under the My Training tab, click on the Enroll in Courses button
- On the Self Enroll in a Course page, in the Course Title box search for “suicide prevention”
- In the search results click on the View Details button for the Kognito Suicide Prevention, Students FY 20 course
- Follow onscreen prompts to open and take the online training now.
- Log into Self Service: http://hris.uiowa.edu
- Click on the My Career button
- On the My Career page, select the My Training button
- Select Enroll in Courses
- On the Enroll in a Course page, search “suicide prevention”
- Select Suicide Prevention, Faculty/Staff
- Follow onscreen prompts to open and take the online training now