People in distress often turn to those they know rather than seek professional help. Kognito training provides skills and training for individuals help friends, family, colleagues, or anyone who is in situation where they might be contemplating suicide.
What is Kognito?
Kognito is an online, interactive role-play simulation program for students, faculty, and staff that builds awareness, knowledge and skills about mental health and suicide prevention. It prepares users to lead real-life conversations with fellow students and colleagues who are in distress and how to connect them with the support they need.
How long does this program take to complete?
Kognito takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. Kognito is self-guided and the total time it takes to complete depends on the depth of exploration into the program you make.
Why is this program important?
The University of Iowa is committed to providing compassionate psychological services, outreach, and training that foster the mental health of students, nurture student success, and contribute to a safe and welcoming campus community. It is important for students, faculty, and staff to train in early recognition, intervention, and referral.
What if I'm not sure where to start?
There are several campus resources available to students, faculty, and staff. We encourage you to reach out to get more help. Student Care and Assistance and the Employee Assistance Program are great places to start.
- Contact Student Care and Assistance to schedule a consultation.
- Contact the Employee Assistance Program to schedule an appointment.
Livewell participants can earn 100 Livewell points by completing Kognito! Go to your MY LIVEWELL portal (in self service under the Benefits & Wellness tab) after you have completed Kognito and enter KOGNITODONE in the bonus code box. Call 335-2085 with questions.
Kognito is co-sponsored by Graduate and Professional Student Government, Office of the Provost, University College, Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Human Resources, and the Scanlan Center for School Mental Health.
Getting started with Kognito is easy: enroll in the course using the instructions below. If you run into trouble, contact the ITS Help Desk at 319-384-4357.
Get started with Kognito
- Go to: https://compliance.hr.uiowa.edu
- Log in using your HawkID and password
- On the Compliance and Qualifications page, select the My Training tab at the top of the page
- Under the My Training tab, click on the Enroll in Courses button
- On the Self Enroll in a Course page, in the Course Title box search for “suicide prevention”
- In the search results click on the View Details button for the Kognito Suicide Prevention, Students FY 20 course
- Follow onscreen prompts to open and take the online training now.
Enroll in Kognito
Did you know: you can earn 100 Livewell points by completing Kognito!
After completing Kognito, enter KOGNITODONE in the “Kognito” bonus code box (335-2085 for questions).